Click here to download this information leaflet about free health checks.
People with learning disabilities often have poorer physical and mental health than other people. This doesn't need to be the case.
The Annual Health Check scheme is for adults and young people aged 14 or above with learning disabilities who need more health support and may otherwise have health conditions that go undetected.
Please contact you Doctors Surgery to book an appointment for a Learning Disabilities Health Check on 017683 71369.
During the health check, the GP or practice nurse will carry out the following for the patient:
- a general physical examination, including checking their weight, heart rate, blood pressure and taking blood and urine samples
- assessing the patient's behavior, including asking questions about their lifestyle, and mental health
- a check for epilepsy
- a check on any prescribed medicines the patient is currently taking
- a check on whether any chronic illnesses, such as asthma or diabetes, are being well managed
- a review of any arrangements with other health professionals, such as physiotherapists or speech therapists
For information about Annual Health Checks please visit https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/learning-disabilities/annual-health-checks/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AVkU9Hs7VM - Having a blood Test Example Video.
http://easyhealth.org.uk/sites/default/files/null/Bloodtest.pdf - Easy Read infomation about having a blood test.
http://www.easyonthei.nhs.uk/ - Click on this link for lots of easy read information.